* Don’t shun carbohydrates – they’re your body’s primary fuel source. But do choose wisely, filling with two thirds of your plate with nutrient packed carbohydrates such as whole grains, beans, fruits and vegetables.
* Drink more than the recommended 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. These are the requirements for a sedentary person. Exercising especially in warm weather, depletes your body of water. You’ll need an additional cup of fluid for every 20 minutes that you work out.
* Adequate protein is essential for building muscle but you need only about five to seven ounces of fish, chicken or lean meat and two to three servings of low fat dairy products each day.
* Stock your pantry with healthier fats. Monounsaturated fats from olive, canola and peanut oil are the best choices for keeping your waistline in check and your heart healthy. They’re still high in calories so have no more than four teaspoons of added fat per day.
* Snacks that have both protein and carbohydrates keep you the most satisfied. Nosh on low fat yogurt with sprinkling of granola, whole wheat crackers smeared with peanut butter and topped with a slice of banana or cottage cheese mixed with raisins.